Taxila Central College is a selective entry mixed-sex school located in Horana, Sri Lanka. It was started in 1905 by Colonel Henry Steel Olcott as a National School.
In 1905, the Horana Buddhist English school was established under the programme of opening of Buddhist schools, launched by the CeylonBuddhist Theosophists and Col. Henry Steel Olcott. The school was established on a small plot of land provided by Sathis Wimalasekara.
The school was relocated to a plot of land donated by philanthropist Arthur V. Dies during the 1930s. The Horana Buddhist English School was renamed as the Taxila Buddhist English School, following a proposal by W. K. S. Fonseka, a teacher at the school and endorsed by then principal W. F. Sirisena.
As a result of the educational reforms proposed by the C. W. W. Kannangara committee in 1943, 54 central colleges were established throughout the country. Moreover, a demand arose that the government take over Taxila Buddhist English school and make it a central college.
Under the patronage of the Minister of Education, C. W. W. Kannangara, on 6 June 1946, Taxila Buddhist English school was converted into Taxila Central College.
The first principal was Thomas Newton Silva. The school shifted to the present venue in 1954. After the shift of venue Taxila Central College became an above grade six school, leaving the primary section at the old venue as a different school. The shift occurred while Edmund Dias was the principal.
Principal E. D. K. Abeysekara was appointed in 1958 and recorded the longest tenure as principal, except for that of H. K. A. Abhayapala.
A hostel was established gathering 200 students, and physical resources were developed during this period. Electricity and water facilities were included among the major facilities.
Science scholars were admitted during this era. In 1958 the school got laboratory facilities and the science classes for ordinary level examination were initiated in 1960. In 1961 Taxila initiated the Advanced Level Science Section.
Field Study Centre
In early 1979, a field study center was established at Taxila Central College, Horana to occupy the closed down hostel building to house the field study center. The first Field Study Camp was held on 3 August 1979 as an environmental project of the Kalutara District five year educational plan (1979-1983). Education Department and the Ministry of Education supported very much to build up the center.
The school offers Grade 6 to Grade 13 Classes with three sections in Advanced Level Step Called Science Section (Combined Mathematics and Biology), Art Section and Commerce Section. More than 3,500 students study in these sections.