St. Sebastian’s College a Catholic educational institution in Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, established in 1854.
The college has over 4,000 students and a staff of over 200. The college motto is “Exspecta Dominum Viriliter Age”, meaning “Expect the Lord and act manfully” in Latin.
St.Sebastian’s College commenced sessions in 1854 on the verandah of St.Sebastian’s Church, Moratuwa with 22 pupils, administrated by the Parish Priest, Fr. Bondani with the help of a Headmaster and his assistant. In 1863, it received endowments from Chevalier Jusey de Silva Deva Aditya, founder president of the church and the medium of instruction was English. At the request of the Catholics of Moratuwa and the church authorities the administration of the school was handed over to the De La Salle Brothers on 3 January 1926. The last headmaster of the school was Mr.Lawrence Perera and the first Brother Director was an Irishman, Bro. Bonaventure Idus. The other two pioneers were a Frenchman, Bro. Athanasius Charles and a Sri Lankan, Bro.Glaster Oliver. With the arrival of the Rev.Brothers they were provided accommodation at Chevalier walauwa, the present Moratuwa police station. Within a few months secondary classes were started on the ground floor of the residence. The main school was situated at Uswatte Circular Road, opposite the engine shed of the Moratuwa Railway Station. Senior Cambridge and Junior school certificate classes were organized and the school was registered as a secondary school in 1927. In 1930 Mrs. R. A. de Mel and Mrs. C.H.Z. Fernando, the daughters of H. Bastian Fernando gifted Rs. 75 000. Realizing the necessity of the rapid development of the school, a ten-acre block of land at Uyana, Moratuwa was purchased for Rs.30 000 by obtaining a loan of Rs.15000000 form the Archbishop and a donation of Rs.15000 from Bastian Fernando. The college commenced operations on the near site on 23 December 2004. With the take over of Denominational assisted school by the government in 1960 St.Sebastian’s College decided to have the option of continue as a non-fee levying private school. This was one of the most difficult periods in the history of the college and Rt.Rev.Bishop Edmund Fernando who was the parish priest of Moratuwa at that time organized the collection of funds for the maintenance of St.Sebastian’s College and Our Lady of Victories convent, Moratuwa. Rev.Bro Modustus an old boy of the college was the director of the college at that turbulent period. Rev.Bro.Raymond Benildus was the Principal of the College from 1964 to 1973 and almost single-handed managed a number of fund raising projects and also set up a welfare office to collect funds directly from parents. In 1974 college faced another financial crises and the welfare society formed with President’s counsel Mr. Eardley Perera, as president was responsible for maintaining St.Sebastian’s College as a Private School. The financial situation improved, when in 1979 the government decided to give a grant to the non-fee levying private schools. In 1989 the principal, Bro.Granville Perera started an overall building project for the school and in two years 16 primary classrooms were built. In March 1991 Bro.Emmanual Nicholas the Provincial Visitor introduced a Board of Governors as an advisory body to assist the administration of the college. President’s counsel, Mr. Eardley Perera was appointed as the Chairmenof the Board of Governors. In June 1991 the Board of Governors established the School Development Society, to be in-charge of the financial management of the college. With the cooperation of the Rev.Brothers and the Board of Governors the teachers, parents and the old boys gathered round the college to build a three-storyed classroom building and a main hall. St.Sebastian’s College entered a new era in 2003 when Bro. Henry Dissanayake, the Provincial Visitor of the De La Salle Brothers handed over the college to the Archbishop of Colombo from April 2003. The college is administrated by Fr.Bonnie Fernandupulle, Principal, Fr.Sylvester Ranasinghe, Deputy Principal, and Fr.Pradeep Fonseka, Principal Primary department.
The College today
Fernandupulle took over the Rectorship in 2003. The school functions as an ‘assisted school” with substantial state funding. The school prepares students for Local Ordinary and Advanced Level examinations in Sinhalese and English. In 2011 St.Sebastian’s won the Battle of The Gold against Prince of Wales’ college after 44 years.
The College crest
Top Left – Sword, arrows and the centurion’s helmet The sword and arrows were used to make him a Marty. Top Right – National Flag of Sri Lanka. Bottom Left – Signifies carpentry professions in Moratuwa. Bottom Right – The Torch of Learning moral and physical education of children.
|Address : St.Sebastian’s College, Uyana
City : Moratuwa
Country : Sri Lanka
|Phone : +94112643245
@ Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Web Site : www.sebsmoratuwa.lk