Maliyadeva Girls’ College is a national Buddhist school in Sri Lankasituated in Kurunegala.
Founded on July 1, 1946, Maliyadeva Girls’ College at the beginning was formed only by two teachers, 69 students, guided by Mrs C E V Fernando as the acting principal. The school’s strong bond with Maliyadeva Collegecannot be regarded slightly.
Maliyadeva College, which began in 1888, in Bodhiraja Mawatha, was later moved to Athkanda Vihara premises and was also known as, “Kurunegala Buddhist Institution”. This can also be considered as the beginning of Maliyadeva Balika Vidyalaya.
In 1928, Maliyadeva College shifted to its present location in Negombo road. Mr Godphry Madawala was the owner of that land then. The main building was built in 1938 with the support of Sir John Kothalawala, the senate member of Kurunegala at that time. In 1941, Maliyadeva College was registered as a mixed school for there wasn’t a buddhist girls school in Kurunegala.
Due to the second world war, the school buildings and land were taken over by the Army in 1942. The school had to be shifted back to its previous location at Ethkanda Viharaya. The Primary section of Maliyadeva College was moved to a new location along Colombo – Kurunegala road in 1944. This later became the Maliyadeva Girls’ College.
The land in Colombo road, which Maliyadeva Girls’ College is situated today was purchased in 1943 by Sir John Kothalawala, president of YMBA Kurunegala and it was owned by YMBA. It was decided to transfer the ownership of this land to government in order to build Maliyadeva Girls’ College, at the annual meeting of YMBA. After this Maliyadeva Girls’ College was born on July 1, 1946, with only 69 students and under the guidance of Mrs C E V Fernando.