Schools

Good Shepherd Convent, Colombo

Good Shepherd Convent is a semi- government Catholic Girls’ school founded in May 1869 in Colombo, Sri Lanka. Located in the neighbourhood of Kotahena, the Convent- School educates girls from kindergarten to age 18.

The Good Shepherd congregation marked the beginning of the sisters’ mission to British Ceylon and the Far East. Nuns from this original convent opened Good Shepherd Convent in Kandy, St Mary’s School in Pettah (closed) and St Bridget’s Convent in Cinnamon Gardens. In 1939, sisters based in Colombo expanded to Singapore, then part of the Straits Settlements, and present-day Malaysia.

History

Good Shepherd Convent was established 140 years ago on Colombo’s highest point, like a light set on a towering hill.

It was the Benedictine Italian Archbishop of Colombo, Rt. Rev. Sillani, who initiated the first Catholic Convent, yet it drew upon the efforts of a French Saint Mother Euphrasia to plant the seed which has now become a mighty tree through whose portals thousands of girls have passed through.

On 15th April, 1869, Rev. Sr. Mary Anucita Marandi, Sr. Mary Suzanne Cardiff, Sr. Euphstie Joseph and Sr. Mary Sacred Heart Masi arrived in Sri Lanka consequent to a request made in 1867 by the then Bishop of Colombo, His Lordship Hilarion Sillani to Mother Mary of St. Euphrasia Pelletier (now St. Mary Euphrasia), to set up a school of the Good Shepherd order. The Rev. Sisters had been given a grand welcome which was followed by a Thanksgiving service.

On 1st May 1869, the school began functioning with just 8 students and the first Superior of the Convent, Sr. Mary of the Seven Dolours Joly taking over the task of leading the School as Principal.

One of the priorities of the Good Shepherd Sisters had been to pursue the construction of a Chapel. Consequently the site was blessed on 21st June 1869 and the construction was left in the able and artistic hands of Fr. Stanislaus Tabarrani, who was then regarded as a world icon in par with popular characters such as Michael Angelo. During the 1870s’ the school had around 100 day scholars. The construction of a two-storey building, to house an orphanage began on 21st June 1869, guided by Bishop Sillani.

Good Shepherd Convent – Kotahena

  • Principal – Rev. Sr. Renuka Silva
  • P. – +94 112 434 210
  • Fax – +94 112 389 210

 

  • Primary Head Mistress – Rev. Sr. Priyangika Fonseka
  • P. – +94 112 434 210

 

  • School Office
  • P. – +94 112 434 210
  • Fax – +94 112 389 210

 

  • Good Shepherd Montessori
  • Principal – Rev. Sr. Thilini Rupasinghe
  • P. – +94 112 330 786

 

Facebook Comments

Related posts

Samudradevi Balika Vidyalaya

Steve

Azhar CollegeAzhar College

Steve

Nalanda (Boys’) Central College

Steve