Ananda Sastralaya is a public boys school located in Kotte, Sri Lanka. It was founded in 1890 as Kotte Buddhist English Mixed School. In 1952 a part of the school land was designated by the Government as an archaeological site since an ancient tunnel junction erected in the 16th century was found within the school premises.
As the awakening of Buddhist education system in Ceylon during the 19th century, some of the leaders in Kotte area set up a new school, Kotte Bauddha Mishra Vidyalaya (Kotte Buddhist Mixed School), on 4 November 1880. Initially the school was operated in small scale with very few facilities. On 1 January 1890 the Ven. Emulgama Wimalatissa Thera with Dayaka Sabha of Kotte Raja Maha Vihara proceeded to enhance the facilities of the school and changed the school’s name to Kotte Bauddha (Buddhist) English Mixed School.
The first head master of the school was C. Ranasingha (1890-1903) and D. B. Jayatilaka was the second head master during 1903 to 1905 time period. In 1910 the name of the school was changed to Jayawardena Shasthra Shalava, whilst D. J. Jayatunga (1905-1922) was the third head master.
After the establishment of Buddhist Theosophical Society, Jayawardena Shasthra Shalava took over the administration of the school. The administration renamed the school, Ananda Sastralaya, and appointed the former head master of Ananda College, S. P. Perera, as the head master for the school.
During the second World War the school premises was taken over by the Ceylon Army for the use as an army camp. After the war, the school recommenced. Under the 1961 Parliamentary Act passed by the Government, all the educational institutes were taken under to one national system of education. Thereby all the schools managed by the Buddhist Theosophical Society were taken over to the Government. In 1971 the school was divided into two sections based on gender with the girls section shifted to Pagoda.
- Ananda Sastralaya
- KOTTE 10100 Sri Lanka
- Tel: 94112828489
- Fax: 94112828489