Thusitha Laknath Galindawattha is an actor in Sri Lankan drama, teledrama, and film.
Thusitha Laknath was born on 7 September 1983 in Sri Lanka.
Thusitha was first involved in stage drama, with Fontamarawa in 2000. He continued with The Doll’s House in 2002. From 2002 to 2007, he worked largely behind the scenes as a stage manager, and in 2007, he returned to the stage in Indika Ferdinandoes’ production of Swayankreeya Wanshakathawa, followed by roles in Man Diyawela, Sindu Pahai, Security, and Romeo and Juliet. He won national Best Actor credits for three of these roles.
Awards and honors
Thusitha has won three national level awards:
- National Drama Festival 2007 – Best actor – Man Diyawela (Gimhan)
- National Short Drama Festival 2007 – Best actor – Sindu Pahai, Calls Pahai (Young man)
- National Youth Drama Festival 2007 – Best actor – Security (Young man)
Having seen him on stage, film director Vimukthi Jayasundara cast Thusitha in his film Ahasin Watei. Thusitha has appeared in three films.
|2009||Ahasin Watei (“Between Two Worlds”)||Rajitha (main character)||This film was screened at many film festivals, including Venice and Toronto. New York theatrical premiere in November 2010|
|2009||Akasa Kusum||A minor role in a film shown mainly in Sri Lanka|
|2010||Nino Live||Viraj||Yet to Be Released|
The film Ahasin Watei was shown at the Venice International Film Festival in July 2009, and Thusitha was invited to attend, but was denied an entry visa by the Italian embassy. The only Sri Lankan actor to have been admitted for participation in the Venice Film Festival has been Gamini Fonseka, for the film Nidhanaya. Thusitha remains committed to working with his Sri Lankan collaborators.
Thusitha has participated a few TV dramas:
- 2008: Yudha Muktha Kalapayaka Sita Ganeema (short drama) by Namal Jayasinghe
- 2008: Vaten Eha by Rosha Kuruppu
- 2009: Sihina Wasanthayak by Saranga Mendis
- 2010: Kaviya Numba by Anurudhdha Jayasinghe